Thursday, January 17, 2013

Mojito Gift Basket

Oh my gosh, such a long delay posting because I don't always have internet access.
I wanted to share a Mojito gift basket I made for my (then) boyfriend's birthday since I was pretty thrilled with how it turned out.
He's the type of person who is difficult to give gifts to because stuff to him becomes "dust collectors".
So I have to creatively come up with something useful, and this year I wanted it to be more than a case of beer and some crab legs.

First, of course, I needed some rum.
I chose Sammy Hagar's new Beach Bar Rum (complete with cute tiki tag), along with a Cuban style rum with lime flavoring


The container is something I like to really think about.
I want something unique and unusual versus a typical basket.
I knew bf wouldn't use a typical ice bucket, but I figured he would at some point find a galvanized bucket useful.
I lined the bucket with a Tommy Bahama beach towel, inserted the two rums, and a book of cocktail recipes


I found a couple vintage glasses with an etched palm tree design from a vendor at Tiki Oasis


Hand carved cherry wood muddler from Etsy, metal spoon with muddler end from eBay, and lime squeezer from Williams Sonoma (a kicked-up-a-notch version to the Mexican hand squeezers)

I purchased an amazing vintage cocktail shaker on eBay--glass with an etched marlin.
I added two silk-screened flour sack dishtowels with octopus tentacles design (from Etsy).
A bottle of simple sugar syrup.
Underneath is brown sugar, and a bottle of seltzer water (I thought of everything).



Piece de resistance: I researched authentic Cuban mint, and had a heck of a time finding any.
Most plants that are available are not eligible for shipping to California.
I finally ordered some from Hawaii.
Pottery from Mexico.



Pretty cool, right?!

2 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Verrrrry, mucho cool!!

Good to see you posting again!

Happy New Year!

9:12 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Wow Barb! You sure thought of everything! But you didn't say what the Boyfriend thought of it. It would be very ungrateful of him if he didn't like the whole package! I find most men are like that with gifts - anything without a specific use is just a dust collector. It really isn't a bad way to be...I wish I had less 'stuff', but I do love my treasures, dust and all ;-)
I have just posted something on my 'other' blog that you might find interesting - a neat little craft project using CDs and paper napkins. Let me know what you think!

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home