Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Skirting the Necktie Issue

To all of you who put down the notion of sewing with neckties, or wearing clothing inspired by recycled ties...
if you think the last time a necktie skirt was hot was when Blossom wore one...
or when there was that article in Sassy Magazine...
ahem, think again.

Straight off the runway in the design capital of the world, Finland, (hello, think Marimekko)...ta da! Necktie skirts are back. This is from the May 2006 issue of Food & Wine Magazine (the issue also has a recipe for Bananas in Coffee Bean Syrup served over yogurt that I can't wait to try).
finnish design

If you want to try to make your own, Laura at Rick Rack Ruby has a how-to here. She also makes a "swishy" version that involves opening the neckties and removing the 'guts'.

And since I can't give Laura enough praises, there're more pics of some of her necktie items here (there are so many more). Laura is generous with her tutorials:
Messenger bag
Pouch
Corset belt
Daisies
Rose
Hat

4 Comments:

Blogger vintage lilac said...

Here's something else to do with neck ties at Easter-
http://vintagelilac.blogspot.com/2006/04/silk-tie-easter-eggs-on-thursday-i.html

5:05 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

Hi Barb, Thanks for the post. Just as a coincidence I am working on new necktie projects right now!

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am convinced that women are more adept at wearing ties than men.

3:13 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

That reminds me, I still need to "share" my tie hat.... (Quite differetn from the one you linked to...)

I am ready to place my order...
I'd like a messenger bag and 2 roses! (You still think I am joking...) I'll be in LAX on the 19th and again on the 3rd....

5:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home