Thursday, August 31, 2006

Flapper Potholder (Hot Mitt Monthly)

Gack! Finally another post. You all know my own computer crashed, but even the LIBRARY'S weren't working this week! Hence my slow-to-post this week.
So here I am at a copy center.

I recently purchased an old booklet from the 20's with bias tape patterns.
Bias tape booklet

One of the patterns inside was a hot pad with the face of a flapper.
Bias tape patterns
The booklet calls these "Blondie" or "Brownie", depending on hair and eye color.

I uploaded the pics to Flickr, and Jennifer from the Felt Mouse mentioned that the theme for August for Hot Mitt Monthly is to make a potholder with a face. The timing was perfect. I opted to make a redhead (natch!). I found some really fun swirly fabric to resemble hair--sort-of a Louse Brooks meets Dilana from Rockstar Supernova.
Flapper Potholder

The pattern says to paint on the facial details, but I thought a combination of applique, embroidery, and thread would be more permanent.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer W. said...

I really like this, Barb! Good luck with HMM! I hope you'll try something else from the booklet, too. The purse thingy looks intriguing...

10:49 PM  
Blogger carrster said...

Wow - that is adorable. nice job!

7:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eeeek! I absolutely love it. Love the Louise Brooks-ness (she was such a coo lady. :)Super duper cuteness!

9:50 AM  
Blogger Very Mary said...

You are WAY too good with bias tape. REALLY.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This came out perfect. Her hair looks amazing.

6:57 AM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

That is a sweet friggen potholder! Nice find on the swirly fabric, totally perfect as hair. I must venture into this world of bias tape, I could at least use one million more potholders.

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home