Friday, November 18, 2005

Holiday recipes

I don't have a close family, nor kids of my own, but I still relish cooking for the holdays. I think it's sad that so many people rush through their days with a microwave, and don't value the joy, passion, and thrill of creating something with their own hands. Cooking can be quite therapeutic.
*This week I plan to try a mushroom soup from my favorite book in the entire world, Aphrodite, by Isabel Allende.
*I have been looking through recipes for cranberry jam--I think this and a freshly baked loaf of bread may be the perfect gift for a friend of mine who prefers I not spend money. What better, then, than a tasty treat of my own creation?
*Ooh--avocado-filled deviled eggs!
*for another gift for Christmas, I will be making my favorite tote pattern in a miniature size, just perfect to hold the box of Tangerine Tea and Macademia Blossom honey that I purchased yesterday. I may add a vintage spoon, and a tail of ribbon with a tag embellished with a quote about friendship. That will be her very own "tea bag" and may be the prototype for something I sell in the future. I will be taking a class at a local quilt shop next month on fabric collage, and this may be the perfect canvas for that. I am very excited about this idea.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kelvin said...

Kia Ora (Hello) from down-under in New Zealand - again !!! A "homemade gift" from the kitchen is "a gift from the heart" !!!

6:49 PM  
Blogger Billie said...

Oh, Barb, I have to bake during this time of year and this will be my first Christmas without an oven! So I've already started baking breads from my trusty old toaster oven. I plan on baking more up until Christmas and giving them away, because I surely can't eat them all! I also have a bread machine, another option. I also love receiving baked goods, I agree, it truly is a gift from the heart!

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home