Friday, November 11, 2005

Thrifting fun

My mom and I drove up to Vista today (about a 45 minute drive) to check out a quilt show...only to discover they were closed for the holiday. Doh! So, we made the most of the day by checking out a few thrift stores. Nothing brings a smile to my face quite as quickly as a good shopping trip. I found an amber-colored plastic sewing box for $2.95. And look at what else:

An impulse buy--I only noticed these because they were at the checkout counter. Not totally complete, but 32 very heavy pieces, with a unique artistic shape for $10. They're marked Hampton Silversmiths stainless. I like 'em! Posted by Picasa


This fun little skirt by Frenchs, with a funky beachball fabric. Posted by Picasa


And another skirt by Anne Taylor Loft. I bought three skirts today, and all are inappropriate for winter. Well, I guess the long khaki J Jill one will be okay. I really want to acquire a more sophisticated wardrobe, yet I continue to buy surfer girl clothing. I looked at my clothing the other day, and it's as if someone else bought it all--none of it feels like it goes with my personality anymore. Time for change! Posted by Picasa


This adorable carrot fabric that looks tinged with brown in the scan, but it's not. It's almost lacey, sheer--maybe intended for curtains (might make a cute apron!). It's a bit more than a yard and was marked $3.95 but I thought that was steep and mentioned it to the manager. She said she didn't mark the price, and would sell it to me for 95 cents. Sold! Posted by Picasa


Also this large, scarf (tablecloth? sarong?) that appears to be hand-painted silk. Not sure what I'll do with it...but something. Posted by Picasa

I tend to gravitate to items with a tropical theme. Posted by Picasa

There's a book I want to show, but my headaches are back, so I'll show you tomorrow. I am so tired of these headaches. I just want to feel normal again. What is the deal?

3 Comments:

Blogger Gina E. said...

Barb, have you had your eyes tested lately? You obviously do a lot of stuff on your computer, as well as crafty stuff, so maybe you need to rest your eyes more often. Glasses don't always fix tired eyes - they are like any other muscles in our body - if they are overused, they get tired and need to be rested. Try shutting your eyes every 15 minutes for a few minutes, when you are working on something close up. If you are outdoors, or can look through a window, focus your eyes on the furthest point - that also relaxes the focusing part of your eyes. Sorry this is so long, but I did a course on improving natural vision, and the difference it made to my eyes and headaches was incredible.

4:57 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

Hey, nice items! You were in my neck of the woods, I wonder what thrift stores?

12:32 PM  
Blogger my house is cuter than yours said...

I love that carrot fabric.. and yes, it must become an apron!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home