Saturday, March 25, 2006

Annual Thursday Club Rummage Sale

Girl's size hand-knit hooded sweater. Perfect condition...I got it for $2!!!!
sweater
Today is one of those days that thrifters live for: the annual Thursday Club Rummage Sale. Half of the money raised goes to the San Diego Community, and the other half goes to the historic Balboa Park where the event is held. I don't have a digital camera, so I tried to grab some images with the scanner. It makes me sick to think someone would get rid of this beautiful sweater, but it went to someone who will appreciate it (I do, and I'm giving it to my friend's daughter, who will cherish it as well).


I got a huge assortment of ties--I love the weird, ugly, novelty ones. Here's just some of the ones I scored (the fish and the elephants and the avocado are luscious):
Ties
Ties

Fun fabrics
Rummage sale fabrics

vintage cookbooks
It was really busy and I just had to grab and run. I didn't even realize what I had until I had time to sort through stuff at home. This chocolate cookbook turned out to be a fun find.
Clue number 1: Copyright 1970 with this being the fourth printing in 1974.
Clue number 2: dedication reads, "To Tris, who digs vanilla".
Clue number 3: the title contains the word, 'addict'.
Yep, all these desserts have names of, ahem, drugs and drug-related stuff. There are recipes (just chocolate, by the way...no foreign additives, so to speak) for Chocolate: joints, weeds, wiggies, grass, LSD's, speed, crystal, fix, hash, turn-ons, far outs, and this dated goodie...the chocolate lid. Also Not Very Squares, Groovy Chocolate Cake, Acapulco Gold Cake, Chocolate Out-of-Sight, and Way Out Pie!!! Let me just make it clear that I'm not giving a thumbs up to getting high, but one has to smile at the naivete in retrospect. This all seems sort-of innocent and Make Love Not War, versus the more scary elements we see today.

I got several more cookbooks, a ton of patterns, some craft mags, a spool caddy, some killer yarn, and a cactus in a kitten-shaped vessel that looks like a Chia pet.
I'll post more goodies later. I could have stayed there all day (they replenish!) but I had plans this afternoon.

5 Comments:

Blogger Goat said...

So Woof Nanny, luv it, how did you find the Barnyard? I found you on my sitemeter.

10:41 PM  
Blogger Goat said...

Crafts are interesting, I do custom glass work for a living including stained and leaded work to custom bath mirrors and shower enclosures. I have also built custom furniture. Nice to to meet another 'woof' lover.

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a place in L.A. called Jet Rag, and they used to have rummages - not sure if they still do - everything was $1. However, yesterday, I bought a marvelous thing: an autograph book from 1889. $27, but my boyfriend bought it for me - a good deal, or just good luck?

8:20 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Wow Barb - you have great taste in quirky fabrics - I love them all! Have you ever seen a guy actually wear one of those LOUD ties? I suppose they must have, but not very often, if they end up in a second hand sale!

4:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home