Monday, April 03, 2006

Lemon Grove Landmark

  Posted by Picasa
I got a kick reading about this local landmark, so I had to go check it out myself and snap a pic. Lemon Grove is a little community in San Diego that is known more for it's big lemon statue announcing the city, but this lesser known item is fun too. You gotta love the novelty of roadside architecture or painted rocks. A town's legend.

The lips have been around since 1977, and someone keeps painting 'em to keep them nice and red (or checkerboard, or Chargers colors...). More info here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, we already have "The Hills Have Eyes". What is this: "The Hills Have Lips"?

8:36 PM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

LOL! Aren't people funny sometimes!

5:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i hate those lips!

11:03 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Wow, anonymous, why is that? Please sign your name next time, and give more info. I love the kitsch of that place.

11:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

so I was just driving home and saw them and Ive always wondered why they are there... my dad had told me its because if someone misses that stop sign, their car gets a kiss...


Im not sure if I believe him... any other stories?

9:20 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Ha! Good point, Marc. I could be like Ken Kramer and have my own About San Diego". I like that idea, actually. I'll try to look for more things to post about. Thanks for reading my blog.

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lips are actually not in Lemon Grove! But in La Mesa - http://www.lemongrovereview.com/?p=15

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home