Necktie Log Cabin
Here's my first effort at log cabin, with my own twist (of course) of using neckties for the fabrics. I combined polyester and silk, for a matte and gloss combination, using a really cool Genie tie that my friend Michelle gave me as the focal point. I was inspired to try my hand at non-traditional Log Cabin after being a fan of Lisa's amazing designs. Lisa is busy preparing for an art show right now, so she wasn't able to make a custom order for me. So I tried one myself (she was generous enough to give me helpful hints) after she posted a tutorial on Whip Up. This is just the pillow front, so I still have to finish it, but I wanted to show you my progress. It's 22" square. Lisa adds quilting lines to hers that become both decorative and functional. I decided to omit this step since tie fabric tends to be somewhat fragile. Too, I stitched the ties onto a batting as I constructed the log cabin, using a stitch and flip method, so the batting is already attached. I do have one fabric flaw on the Art Nouveau lady--probably where a label had been placed. I'll use embellishments to cover these, and considered different options like tie labels or shirt buttons...but have decided to do a few fabric flowers this time. I have a bunch more of these planned now--they're addictive, and a great way to use scrap fabrics too!