Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Melting Pot?

Often blogs are happy-happy-joy-joy and heaven forbid one express personal views or political persuasion.

I mean, this is a popularity contest when you come right to it.

I tend to find the mold of the perfect little blogger a bit bothersome, however, so occasionally I stretch a bit. I find it more honest, more real. Speaking of honest, here's my motto for friendship. If someone is honest enough to tell you a truth that will hurt your feelings, you know you can always trust them.
That has been my experience anyway.

But I digress. In fact, I'm way off topic. I wanted to talk about my shopping experience.

You know, my saying this may be politically incorrect. It may be insensitive at this time of year. But, in my view of the world, it's the truth.
And it's worthy of thought and consideration.

The other night I actually ventured into a Toys R Us. It's highly unusual for me to step into the mall, much less a toy store, at any time of year. But to think I actually did so in December boggles the mind. I needed a certain toy, however, and it seemed to be sold out everywhere online.

Anyway, I walked in, and people were dashing about...the shelves were emptying (literally)...
and, um,

I could have been in Mexico.

I may have been one of the few people there who spoke English.
I found it disconcerting.

Not finding the item at Toys R Us, I went to Target.
And found somewhat similar circumstances.

Still no toy, so onward to Walmart.
Ditto on the circumstances, except this time when I stopped to ask assistance from an employee, she looked at me with a big question mark.
She finally grabbed up enough English words to kind of point me in a vague direction.
Still no toy, by the way.

But, well, something is seriously wrong with this picture.

America no longer appears to be melting.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Oh no, it's a "salad bowl" honey.... The tomatoes stay tomatoes, the lettuce stays lettuce....

But thanks for not posting about fondue.....

3:39 AM  
Blogger S. said...

Clearly it's due to the fact that immigrants will work menial jobs for little pay.

The employers could improve upon customer service and at the same time assist their employees by providing opportunities for english as a second language classes. Everyone would win.

I love cheap stuff and discount stores but, this is the cost of such consumerism.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

I suppose I could point out that you live in what used to be Mexico, right? But, I know it's frustrating not to be able to understand what people are saying. That must be how they feel...

I, too, live in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. Like any group of people, they have their good qualities and the not-so-good. We're also adopting children of a different racial/ethnic heritage, so we're all for diversity.

It's not easy, but it makes life more interesting!

6:17 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Hi Heidi,
Thank you for your comment. I tried to email you, but the address doesn't work, so I'll respond here.
I could go on and on with a rebuttal, but it's neither the time nor my place. I will tell you that the fact this used to be Mexico is part of the problem, in that it results in a feeling of entitlement, and what we all end up with is growing tension. This is a politically correct climate anyway, where words are clipped and censored, and no one knows what is even acceptable to voice. One of my co-workers wore a shirt recently that read: "Not Hispanic, Not Latino...Mexican"
I thought, um, what about American?
Too, our borders are so porous as to be a security threat, and our very way of life is in danger of upheaval when whole groups choose not to assimilate. When so much information is in Spanish, how is that fair to any other person of a different nation? Diversity is one thing, but we all need to embrace what is America. This is not a racial issue, it's a matter of needing a logical, ethical means of people moving here, versus a waterfall that weakens our infrastructure, and steps in front of so many others already waiting in line.
that's my two cents,

10:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home