Friday, February 09, 2007

Photobooth Friday

Gramps
I'll guess this photo was taken in the 1930's, to match his wife's image that I posted last week.
His name was Burdette, but most people called him 'Doc'.
I just knew him as Gramps.
He was my mom's stepdad. He was a wonderful man.
I've spoken about him previously.

Gramps
that hat he's wearing? I still have it.

He was a dentist in the Navy. He was known in Coronado for his wild antics--like stealing captain's chairs from the officer's club and taking them home on his bicycle while the powers that be turned a blind eye.
Like showing up on a whim to see my mom, and bringing the cab driver in to play cards all afternoon.
He made wooden scooters for all the kids, and we were all the envy of the neighborhood. I still have the child's table and chairs that he made for me, as well as a bookcase.

My memories of him are of goodness, kindness, generosity, and laughter.
I miss him dearly.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home