Tuesday, April 10, 2007

80's Heat

Saturday was my birthday.
My friend Brandie treated me to Thai food, then we went to the infamous Belly Up Tavern for "80's heat".
Meaning it was all about 80's music and a lot of dancing.

Initially I just thought I'd join Brandie and her two friends for a cocktail.
But I didn't expect the evening to be so much fun!

There was a DJ on stage spinning vinyl, and a dancer doing moves reminiscent of Flashdance and Footloose.
She was a maniac (sorry, couldn't help it).

THEN, the place starting getting more crowded, the crowd was a wide spectrum of ages, and more and more people started showing up dressed in 80's attire.
First there were the Madonnas, and some others who didn't quite have the decade down correctly, but we'll give them kudos for effort.

One girl showed up all Olivia Newton John physical, with a headband, side ponytail...
and leotard.

Then two guys showed up wearing big-hair wigs, those funky elastic-waisted pants that looked like they were paint splattered (I can't remember what those were called), fishnet fingerless gloves....and mini guitars to rock out on.
It was hysterical.

Later, after I left, Brandie told me a guy showed up wearing a denim skirt and leg warmers.
Ya gotta love the spirit (I'd say spunk, but I guess in the UK that carries a nasty connotation).

One girl was dancing the whole time, wearing pumps, a camisole, and sheer white boxer shorts.
The guy we were with said, "I think I've seen her on a pole somewhere."
Classic.
A Kenny Loggins look-alike wouldn't leave her alone. Eewww.

Anyway, it was a fun way to celebrate.

What was also an amazing boost to my day was mail from two blogging buddies kind enough to send me goodies.
It's so late tonight, I will post the details tomorrow...
'night.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Claudia said...

Dear Barb,

Happy belated Birthday! All the best to you!

Your description of the 80's party made me giggle.
Especially at one point: You mentioned the word "spunk", which I formerly only knew from a book by Astrid Lindgren: "Pippi Langstrumpf". On one day the girl named Pippi makes up a new word which doesn't exist in German, and, as far as I know, neither in Swedish: Spunk. In the story, she has the word but doesn't know what it means. An illness? Something to eat? What can it be?

Thanks for making me look up the English term and discover that quite some things are named "Spunk". From (punk) bands to Danish liquorice ;-)

Have a nice day!
xxx Claudia

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Barb! Sounds like you had a fun time and saw some interesting sites!

1:29 AM  
Blogger Deborah said...

Nice blog. You do sound busy. I only do traditional beadwork and crochet. Come on over and see pictures on my blog.

And happy birthday!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Happy belated birthday. That sounds like a fun way to celebrate. Wish you had photos!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Ginamonster said...

Wow! I had no idea they did that there! I will have to pop in on a Saturday! How fun!

8:03 AM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

sounds like you had quite the day.
Happy Birthday.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated b-day from a very aged person! Were any of the girls wearing multi-colored petticoats and pixie-heeled boots? And corsets? And bracelets? It all sounds like unbelievable fun.

And don't be mockin' on the fishnet gloves - I still have mine!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you, I didn't know it was your birthday until now! Sounds like you had a blast, I would get a kick out of an 80's party. :)

8:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home