Saturday, April 07, 2007

Necktie Eggs!

Vintage Lilac posted about this idea from Martha Stewart last year.
Monogram Momma made some this year, and she's got a tutorial posted!

So I got together with my friend Jen, and we dyed Easter Eggs using pieces of silk neckties.
Silk Tie Eggs
It was so much fun unwrapping the fabric packages to see what magic was inside!
Definitely an oohs and aahs moment.

Look at the lily!
Eggs detail

Three of the eggs didn't color, because one tie was polyester (oops), and the other two were hand-marbled designs in swirled colors. Perhaps somehow the colors had been permanently set, so the design didn't transfer.
Pretty Eggs

We'll have to find ways to best wrap the eggs, because where the fabric folds or pleats, the egg remains white.
It was really easy though, really fun, and we'll definitely do it again next year!
More eggs detail

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Those are gorgeous! Happy Easter to you.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How neat! I saw the show last year when she did them but was afraid it was yet another Martha project that looks good when she does it, but is a failure when anyone else tries. I'm happy to know that this is indeed one project that anyone can do! I love that one with the lily. Wow!

3:06 PM  
Blogger z-silverlight said...

qnecktie dyed easter eggs. whoda thunk it.
nifty project.
very original.

12:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are the best looking easter eggs I've ever seen!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Love these! Sorry I didn't get in touch with you yesterday, but Happy (day after) Easter!

8:23 AM  
Blogger Monogram Momma said...

Barb, you're turned out wonderful too! Wasn't this so easy and fun?!

I swear I will figure out your flickr thingie and upload all my picts today!!

9:29 AM  
Blogger Suburban prep said...

quite impressed.

2:02 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

Holy crafty! Just another creative way for you to use all those fancy neckties in your collection.

Brava!

4:53 PM  
Blogger Sarah and Jack said...

These eggs turned out great, and what an interesting out of the box idea.

11:39 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

Oh and why do you have to use glass or enamel to cook them in?

4:32 AM  
Blogger sherry said...

Why didn't my eggs turn out?

4:33 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Sherry, your email and blog don't come up on my notification, so I don't know how to reach you. You can email me directly if you want at barbian7@yahoo.com.
I assume you have to use glass or enamel or there might be a weird reaction. And make SURE the ties you use are silk. I guessed on some and they turned out to be polyester, and the eggs just remained white.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home