Thursday, August 30, 2007

Getting sconed at Rebecca's

Rebecca's Coffee Shop
(click on image to enlarge)
Posted especially for KT, who used to live in San Diego and misses this coffee house in South Park.

Rebecca's is known for its scones, which were unfortunately sold out on my first visit.
I saw that they offer a coconut frappuccino, so I'll be back...

Loteria windows
This is right next to Rebecca's--I'm not sure if it's part of it, but I was enamoured with the Loteria images covering the windows.

South Park is an older, small neighborhood in San Diego that epitomizes the idea of "community".
Every year around Dia de los Muertos (the day after Halloween), neighbors set up shrines that are visible on a walking tour, along with explanations of their importance.
The community rallies together to better the area, including derailing a planned freeway expansion that would have gobbled up their church--a cute, almost folk art Catholic structure painted in bright colors.

The old homes are being refurbished, and it's really getting to be a lovely place to hang out.
Other fun business in the community include The Grove (yarn shop),
The Whistle Stop (a bar that has a monthly knitting meet-up),
and The Grape Street dog park, where I took Duke for a little photo opp
Duke at Grape Street Dog Park

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Oh, thanks Barb! I'm so glad to see that Rebecca's is still there.

Scones go fast, go early. I'd recommend the walnut or better yet, the chocolate chip. There's a bit of orange zest in it, and if you slather it with the strawberry jam they make, you'll be in heaven.

We'll have to meet there next time I get to town!

9:38 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Do you have any Loteria fabric? (I do.)

3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Duke's ball between his legs where he can keep an eye on it while posing for the camera...

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home