Monday, September 03, 2007

The Boat Houses of Encinitas

Boat Houses of Encinitas
(click image to enlarge)
My mom and I were driving through Encinitas the other day (a city in the north county coastal area of San Diego County), and came across the infamous Boat houses.
I squealed with delight and hit the brakes!
I had to grab a photo.
Read more about their history here.

These boat-shaped houses were built by Miles Kellogg in the 1920's from recycled materials (wood salvaged from other buildings).
They are dubbed the S.S. Encinitas, and the S.S. Moonlight (they're above Moonlight Beach).
Boat Houses
I love the quote from Steve McDonald, "When my kids were little I told them these boats were washed ashore by an enormous wave, and that they just decided to make them apartments rather than try to get them back to the water."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Are they apartments or single family homes? I like funky architecture...

4:13 AM  
Blogger Vallen said...

I would never comp,ain about anything agian if I could live in a bota-shaped house.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home