Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Sew with Cotton Bags

I picked up a fun little recycling booklet, dated 1941, about sewing items from cloth flour and sugar bags
Sew with cotton bags booklet, 1941

Make aprons to curtains--the ideas are quite creative
Sewing with cotton bags
(click to enlarge. 'all sizes' will zoom image)

Though these cloth bags aren't as prevalent as they once were, I've noticed them in my grocery store again.
Or think about recycling pillowcases and other linens, or reuse the fabric from clothing.
Items to make from sugar and flour bags

More items to make from sugar and  flour bags

Recycling is not only environmentally sound, but it can be sentimental to use items from a friend or a family member.
Fabric from childhood clothing holds dear memories, along with grandma's favorite pants, etc.

When my grandmother passed away, I was in the 9th grade and it caught me by surprise.
I was too distraught to think clearly enough to save a pair of pants she always wore--white with red bicycles.
I have always regretted not keeping those pants.
It's interesting where our sentiments lie--sometimes in seemingly insignificant items and moments.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to know the journey this booklet made. As a Wyoming expatriot (but trying to return someday!), I couldn't help but notice the "Wyoming's best flour" stamp.

5:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in England recycling has hit councils now and each seems to have a target to get rid of as much landfill rubbish as possible and encourage everyone to put cans etc. for recycling instead. I think the cloth bags are an excellent idea. Plastic ones are often seen in trees (witches knickers) contain oil and will take 100s of years to degrade, paper ones go soggy in the rain, so cloth ones make a lot of sense. Sometimes traditional IS better. Love that booklet.

7:36 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I have a well worn quilt from my great grandmother that I believe was made from cloth bag material. It is amazing the prints and florals that they once came in. Very cool.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

You are totally bad for me! I looked at these great pics for the flour sack ideas and ended up spending waaaay too much time looking at you other great pics in your photostream.

You sure have luck finding terrific, unusual items.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

recycling is not new, it's tried and true I recycle -lovely book

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home