Sunday, September 16, 2007

A kid in a candy store

After two and a half weeks off work, I returned.
It's hard to get back in the rhythm.
My body aches from standing on concrete.

But I do have Saturdays off, so yesterday I did something I haven't done in a ridiculous amount of time--I met a friend for coffee, and then we went shopping.
Funny how what is probably nothing special for the average Jane is really a big deal treat for me.
Even my friend having the entire afternoon available to lounge around with me was a treat!

Seriously, I can't remember the last time I went shopping.

It may have been years (I buy stuff online usually, and I go to thrift stores, but a mall? Rarely if ever).
We met at a small shopping center in the north county.
We caught up over cappuchino-chip smoothies at Panera, and I bought some cinnamon-sugar bagels for later. She ate a panini.
My friend brought her laptop and showed me pics from her recent trip to Zurich, Paris, and Prague.
Amazing.
She's the one with the travel bug who alternates taking trips with her children.
One year she and her daughter go on a trip, then the next year she takes her son. Every third year she and her husband go somewhere--a romantic getaway for just the two of them.
This arrangement works beautifully for them, because they each get one-on-one time with her, and she gets to travel a lot (every three years is fine for her husband).

After the photo journey and lots of laughter, she and I then wandered into little boutiques, oohing and aahing over things.
I loved the luggage tags by Anne Taintor


It says "someone had to set a bad example".
There are several other collaged, retro designs.

I made my first ever trip into Anthropologie.
Wow.
I felt like an alien from another planet.
It was a candy store.
An entire corner devoted to aprons, oven mitts, and dish towels!!

We explored Z Gallerie, Black & White, Sur La Table, and Tillys.

At Borders, I considered buying Tim Gunn's book, and also Ice Kabobs--ice cube trays for ice shapes on a plastic stick (made by See Fred)


We went to Ulta and I bought some new make-up.
I usually wear Laura Mercier, but I opted to try new brands--Sue Devitt foundation, and for lipstick I bought Purminerals.
I bought a cosmetic brush for the foundation.
They gave me a cute Baby Phat make-up bag.

I spent all my money,
but it was really really fun.

I think of these moments in life as the glue that holds my days together.
Making memories, connecting with good friends....really, it's magic.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

That sounds like a great way to spend the day! And to "spend away"!Sometimes you just have to break down and spoil yourself, you know.

You deserve it.

11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh you HAVE to go back and get the ice kabobs! what will they think of next and congrats on the makeup brush for foundation, it makes it go further, lighter and you will never go back to the old ways. (I used to work for Becca Cosmetics, we had an inhouse makeup artist) What a great day out you had! thanks for sharing :-)

12:08 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I love, love, love Anthropologie. I stop at the store in Wayne, PA several times a year when I am nearby. Just looking at the way they have things displayed gives you ideas.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home