Saturday, April 01, 2006

Necktie Log Cabin

(click on image to enlarge)Necktie log cabin
Here's my first effort at log cabin, with my own twist (of course) of using neckties for the fabrics. I combined polyester and silk, for a matte and gloss combination, using a really cool Genie tie that my friend Michelle gave me as the focal point. I was inspired to try my hand at non-traditional Log Cabin after being a fan of Lisa's amazing designs. Lisa is busy preparing for an art show right now, so she wasn't able to make a custom order for me. So I tried one myself (she was generous enough to give me helpful hints) after she posted a tutorial on Whip Up. This is just the pillow front, so I still have to finish it, but I wanted to show you my progress. It's 22" square. Lisa adds quilting lines to hers that become both decorative and functional. I decided to omit this step since tie fabric tends to be somewhat fragile. Too, I stitched the ties onto a batting as I constructed the log cabin, using a stitch and flip method, so the batting is already attached. I do have one fabric flaw on the Art Nouveau lady--probably where a label had been placed. I'll use embellishments to cover these, and considered different options like tie labels or shirt buttons...but have decided to do a few fabric flowers this time. I have a bunch more of these planned now--they're addictive, and a great way to use scrap fabrics too!

16 Comments:

Blogger Grangry said...

Barb, this is gorgeous. What a lovely rich fabric these neckties make!

12:32 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Crash hot, Barb. Wonderful colours and texture. Baroque?

1:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

gorgeous, and i love that you are using an original type of fabric. so beautiful. it's really hard to sew with silk. i am impressed. are you going to turn it into a pillow?

10:52 AM  
Blogger sharonb said...

I love the rich visual texture of this - its scrumptous

Did you interface the ties - I ask because they are cut on the cross

6:27 PM  
Blogger Goat said...

My Nanny, real maternal one, made quilts. I have a couple of them, worth quite a penny now. You can certainly find plenty of odd ties for cheap at charity stores. Most of us guys hate ties and just accept them for the ladies. Perhaps we can exchange pooch stories soon, I want a dog, knowing me I will probably end up with a lab, they fit me well.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Thriftin' Gal @ Junk In My Trunk said...

Wow, that is really beautiful, and what a great idea! I've enjoyed my visit to your site, I will be back :)

10:02 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

WOW! (enough said!)

6:07 AM  
Blogger Gina E. said...

Sensational, Barb! What an inventive lady you are!!

7:41 AM  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

This is really beautiful!
You rock in the biggest way--thank you SO much for your San Diego craft resource guide.
I live in San Diego, but I am in Taipei temporarily, and while here I have been thinking that when I move back in August, I REALLY want to take a beading and jewelry making class...and I also want to learn how to knit...I read about the Whistle Stop group in the SD Tribune a long time ago and never went...I will definately go when I get back!

I love your post about Ramon...very powerful (and sad).
Good stuff here!
Thanks so much for sharing.
I think, no I KNOW I was led here, and I too believe in spirit guides...funny that I had to move to Taipei to find you!
(I found you through My House is Cuter Than Yours, who I found through gina!).
Take care,
Sue

9:14 AM  
Blogger African Kelli said...

Look at you go! Great creativity.

9:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - I love it! What a fab idea to use the neckties... :)

2:39 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Yay, more comments than usual! Thank you all for your supportive posts. To answer the questions, yes, I do plan to make this one a pillow, but I can envision sewing together several of these for a quilt. How fun would that be?! And I answered Sharon via email, but I'll repeat it here for the sack of info:I have made some necktie aprons where I used the ties "as is", but for the pillow I removed the stitching on the back and pulled out the interfacing. I opened up the ties and ironed them, so I had as much fabric to work with as possible. I knew I wanted a finished size 22" square, so I cut a piece of Warm and Natural cotton batting larger (about 25" square) and cut it down later (as you stitch on it, it tends to shrink). I started in the center and stitched the focal tie piece down. Then I chose one side and stitched wrong sides together then flipped it out...repeatedly doing the stitch and flip until I was happy with the result. Some of the joining corner areas were a bit tricky. Had I not stitched directly to the batting, I probably would have used a fusible interfacing, as the bias on these fabrics can be a bit challenging.
I have more of these planned, so I'll post pics soon.

3:54 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Oops, I meant 'sake'. Sorry about that.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Balwearie said...

That looks awesome! Your colour combo is fantastic - especially the tie in the center. Is that a genie lamp or a candle?

4:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it. It looks fantastic. Every time I'm thrifting and see neckties, I think of you.

2:07 PM  
Blogger LauraK said...

This is great, Barb! Neckties rock!

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home