Sunday, May 21, 2006

Rag Rugs

When I posted recently about crocheting plastic bags into a rug, Sue of Sue's Joy commented that I had brought back memories of her grandmother making braided rag rugs. Coincidentally, Jennifer of The Felt Mouse just made a rag bag, and Hillary of Wee Wonderfuls made last month's Tie One On entry by crocheting fabric strips also.
Then I came across this vintage pattern sheet that was my grandmother's.
Cartwheel Rug Pattern
If the envelope I found with it is its mate, my mom (by my grandmother's address listed) guesses the date to be 1943. The post mark was all of one cent. The pattern is a mail order item by Alice Brooks Designs, sent from the Household Arts Dept in San Francisco.

This is my favorite design. A simple single crochet.
Crocheted Rag Rug Pattern

It was war time, and this required people to use what they had. Here's a pattern for recycling stockings into a rug.
Rag Rug from Nylon Stockings

Rectangular braided design (there is also a pattern for the more traditional oval design), and pansy hooked rug.
Oblong Braided Rug and Pansy Hooked Rug

Crocheted Squares design.
Crocheted Rag Rug in Squares

4 Comments:

Blogger Miss RM said...

That's a great old pattern sheet. I've found neat patterns online but somehow it's not the same that way.

5:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What size crochet hook is used? Must be huge!

2:26 PM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

The hook size varies per project. I used a 'J' because it's what I had, but the pattern called for 'M'. Some of rug patterns use the rug hooks--size Q.

9:09 PM  
Blogger Suesjoy said...

Oh thanks so much for sharing this Barb! wow. Incredible. Yeah most of hers were oval shaped.
I am beside myself that I never got one, but I was in San Diego and all my other relatives snatched them up (she was in Boston).
Too bad...

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home