Sunday, September 23, 2007

Memories...

This morning I picked up the phone, as I have done countless times since forever, and I dialed 853-1212.
Instead of "at the tone, Pacific Standard time will be..."
I got a message saying that as of September 19, the time service will no longer be in effect.
Whaaaaaa?
It's like a piece of my childhood vanished or something.
I mean, some things you just expect will always be there.

Yes, I have a clock, but I like to verify it every once and awhile.

But speaking of jolts of childhood angst,
the weekend before last was my high school reunion.
It was held at the Hard Rock Cafe in La Jolla.

I didn't attend.

As much as I loved high school, reunions are all about show-and-tell, and
"look how far I've come"...
and, honestly, I don't have anything to say.

I don't mean to be dour here but, no home, no husband, no kids, no great job doesn't bode well.
Don't get me wrong, I believe in myself as a person...
I just don't look good on paper, as it were.

What has been interesting though, is that a few people have contacted me,
saying they missed me.
And photos of the event have been online to browse through.

This is all churning up all sorts of strange emotions in me.

I dug a bit into storage and pulled out a few pics of memory lane.
I still have boxes of old diaries to sort through.
I can't even fathom the drama recorded in there, but I'm looking forward to finding out what I had to say.

Me, the last day of 9th grade after a whipped cream attack.
Note the fuzzy 110 camera.
Uh, yeah, I just dated myself with that comment.
Whipped Creamed

Sophomore year, a sort-of modeling pose shot by some guy at my church.
Me as a sophomore in high school
An artist friend of mine at the time later copied this in charcoal.
I took it to another friend to get framed and never got it back.
I still know the framer, so I'll have to retrieve it.
Kind-of a fun thing to have.

Swim Team Float cruising down Casa de Oro in Spring Valley.
I can't remember what grade this was (junior?).
It is amazing how many details I have forgotten.
Swim Team Float
(click on pic and 'all sizes' for zoom)

I'm seated in the center with my mouth open.
I was no doubt yelling some cheer.
By senior year I was up for 'most school spirit', but lost out to a cheerleader.
I never did make the cheer squad, sigh.

Modern Dance summer show "the Train".
Modern Dance negative print
(again, click on pic then on 'all sizes' above pic on Flickr page to zoom)

This is just a print off the negative, but I'm on the far right in the dark leotard.
That leotard rocked--it was navy blue and a wrap style.
Modern dance at my school was a huge big deal.
I was the first person at the school to dance with a guy at the annual show.
We got a standing ovation.
He and I used to win all sorts of awards at under-21 clubs at the time
(Journey, for those of you who were there back in the day).

Good times. Literally.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Desilu said...

Hello,

I have been reading your blog for awhile. I just set up my own blog, but it isn't "all that" yet.

I cannot believe it! I dialed the number myself - I am in disbelief!

I knew the time service as POP-CORN. I read the news all the time - I don't recall any mention of discontinuing the time service.

How do you find time for all your projects?

Desiree

8:01 PM  
Blogger Pattie - Chicagoland, IL said...

I too have moments of thinking that my life, what I am doing, etc. isn't worth mentioning much. I think we all go through this periodically.

I think you are a very cool, interesting person. I think your life, just as it is now, is a good one. Don't second guess yourself.

And as far as high school reunions? I went to my 10th and would never go to another. It felt like everyone was uncomfortable there, puffing up their lives to make things sound more exciting, better that they actually were.

I would rather remember my high school friends as they were. I think it would have been nicer that way.

And I too mourned the loss of a local phone number. In NY, when I was a kid, we called WE6-1212 for the weather report. I hated when that was gone.

3:56 AM  
Blogger meresy_g said...

I haven't been to a high school reunion yet. My 20th is next year and I'm debating whether to go or not. Anyone I want to still be in touch with, I still am so I guess if I went it would just to see how other people turned out.

I don't think that you should be ashamed that you don't 'look good on paper'. I bet if you had gone to that reunion, a lot of people (in unhappy marriages, with kids they only had because everyone else was hving them) would have been envious of your life. You are unencumbered and you seem like a very happy person. Very much a free spirit.

Sorry that you lost your time teller.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been to a reunion.I have been back on visits to places where I lived and it is sooo not the same- housing estates are built on fields where I had picnics, shops have closed down and trendy things are in their place. Even a lot of the old families have been replaced by newcommers and the local accents are nearly extinct and London ones are spoken in their place. I think the saying "You can't go back" is true. Well done for having the courage of your convictions and saying "This reunion isn't for me at this time". Chances are those you want in your life are those you are still in contact with anyway.

12:36 PM  
Blogger FinnyKnits said...

What?? POPCORN is going away! Say it isn't so!! What will I do when the power goes out and I have to reset the clocks??

Don't tell me I'm supposed to rely on my cell phone clock for such things.

I'm heartbroken. I might as well have just found out that John Cusak really isn't just like the guy from High Fidelity.

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those vintage 110 shots!

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have gone to my 20th, 25th, 30th, 35th and am lookin forward to my 40th next year. They are not about look how great I am, or my kids are, etc. but about reconnecting with people, memories and parts of yourself you may have forgotten. I am such a loser by most standards,I am divorced, my daughter is divorced with 3 kids, I live with my dad, drive a junker car and have a dead-end job that doesn't pay enough to live on. None of my friends turned up their noses at me. You are the one with the problem about your life, not your schoolmates. You are selling them short, and denying yourself an opportunity to grow as a person. Anyone who goes to reunions to brag is not someone whose opinion should matter to you.

Besides, I can't see anything you have to be ashamed of. You support yourself, have more than one interesting and entertaining blogs and have an enthusiasm for arts and crafts and ability to share that joy.

Think about it next time, take a friend for moral support if you are nervous, take the risk. I am glad I did.

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I didn't go to my 10 or 20 year reunion. Maybe by 30 there will be less pressure? and that second pic of you reminds me of venus in the clam shell, you know the one? beautiful.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Billie said...

I'm sad you didn't go to your class reunion. I can understand about the 5, 10, maybe 20 year reunions - everyone trying to build themselves up - but my 30th was the best! I may be married, have a child, not so great career, etc. etc., but honestly I don't think any one cares. We all had a great time talking about old memories, how we're doing now and wondering what happened to the ones that didn't show up. I think you have alot to offer and I believe your old classmates would have loved to see you again.

Awww, don't tell me "popcorn" is going away. I remember my brothers and I as kids would call time when we were bored and wanted to call someone.

3:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home