Monday, April 24, 2006

Moments in time: Photo Sharing

 
I came across an old box of photos at my mom's. For whatever reason, these weren't deemed worthy enough for the album pages. But they hold memories just the same. Not sure how old I was here. I was the only girl in the family. Youngest, with three brothers. Ambition and career success wasn't something considered at that time. At least not in my family. Secretary was what girls were supposed to be. Obviously that wasn't the case, but I didn't know any better. I took typing and shorthand (!) in high school, but never did go the admin route. I have pages and pages of diary written in shorthand that I no longer can decipher. Posted by Picasa

 
Gaylord was a battery-operated dog that walked on a leash. I loved that dog. I don't know why I no longer have him, or what happened to him. I've seen him on ebay now go for over $300. He was given to me after my brother was playing with me and threw me in the air to land on the bed, and my knee grazed the bedpost...leading to my first stitches. I was allowed to go to the store and pick out anything I wanted (can you say spoiled rotten?), and I chose Gaylord. Everytime I was hurt or sick as a child, I always got gifts. One would think I would have turned into a hypochondriac after that! I remember getting coloring books, a huge troll doll (that I still have), and an over-sized plastic whistle that I adored (and also still have). Looking at that photo now, I'm seriously diggin' that rug! Don't you just want to be able to go back in time and grab up a bunch of cool Eames stuff and have it now? Or collectibles like novelty lunch boxes, etc? But who knew? Posted by Picasa

Red riding hood
Cute Red-riding hood look. And my beloved saddle shoes(possibly...I can't tell here, I'm guessing. May be tennies in this pic, but I did love my saddle shoes). I used to ask Nanny (my grandma) please please can I put them on just one more time. I have pics of me sleeping with them on. But what I remember most here is the dress. THE dress. It was white light-weight cotton, with a border of zoo animals. I loved that dress. I wish I still had it for the fabric. Or had an adult-sized version. The irony is that I have never been into clothes. I would rather buy kitchen stuff or greeting cards than go clothes shopping.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love these photos so much.

11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OF COURSE THESE ARE WORTHY! We need a photo montage - NOW!

3:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Barb, these photos are gorgeous. The simple pleasures of sorting old photos, eh? Barby, I hope you don't mind, but I have tagged you. Pop over to The Trad Pad at http://tradpad.blogspot.com for the details.

Blessings and bliss

5:49 AM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

Thanks for the jog down memory lane...

I also LOVE kitchen stuff!

6:11 AM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

Wonderful pictures! I stumbled across your blog from another and now I'm inspired to add some more personal pictures to my own. Thank you for sharing!

1:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer W. said...

Great pics! Look like they came straight of Life Magazine or something.

12:27 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

wow, these are fantastic! treasures, I say. and I loved reading about you too. that's what's so great about old photos... they bring the greatest details and stories to mind.

(and yes! wish I could go back in time and hold onto some of the stuff we've since given away... namely, my charlie's angels lunchbox)

3:15 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Barb, These pics ( I can only see the first 2 ) are so beautiful and prophetic. First reading the tag post where you write about researching on the Internet and the next post down here you are practicing your keyboad skills. Your love of canines obviously began early. What a great find.

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home