Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Apron and Cooking Meme

The good folks organizing the What's Cookin'? apron and recipe swap have requested we answer a few questions.
1.   first apron (that you can remember): I think I may have had a plastic kid's apron. I want to say it was a Wonderbread one, but I may just be imagining that. Maybe it was just polka dotted. Yeah, it was opaque plastic with multi-colored dots and a little ruffle. I'm sure I have it somewhere still.

2.   last (most recent) apron: I bought another apron off ebay with an owl-themed fabric. Here's a pic.

3.   dream/favorite apron: A little naughty hostess get-up might be dandy.

4.   dream sewing machine: I want a Janome Gem because so many people have told me that's a good portable (well, if we're talking dreams, I guess vintage Featherweight). As far as an everyday machine, I'm not really sure. I'm not into computerized--I like simple, basic, long-lasting. Right now I have a vintage white (early 40's) in a wooden cabinet.

5.   what do you put in your pockets? or what strange thing have you ever found in them? Oh geez, I love pockets. I used to use an apron for my sewing stuff, because I'm forever losing my metal ruler and my transfer pen...but I ended up filling them so full they'd be uncomfortable if I leaned against anything. So I started keeping my sewing stuff that I need at hand in a plastic box atop the machine. But I'll always find something to put in the pockets.   

6.   condiment(s) you can't live without: Does chocolate sauce count ;). I love mustard with horseradish in it. Mustard with cranberry is also tasty. I absolutely loathe loathe loathe Miracle Whip.

7.   do you wear more showy aprons or dutiful ones? Um, maybe dutiful gets the vote, but most of my apron collection is collected for the fun of it versus any other reason. Right now, sadly they're in storage. I'm between homes, as they say. My predicament just lasts longer than most.

8.   favorite cooking gadget: I love me some gadgets. The zester I got from Pampered Chef totally rocks. My whisk rocks. So does my, crap what's it called? The thing you make pie crust with. I buy quality stuff. I love vintage Bauer, but that's dishes not gadgets. I've considered opening up a store that sells kitchen wares--that's how much I love that stuff. I want one of those plastic tubes that takes the outer peel off garlic. Speaking of gadgets, for sewing I love bodkins.

9.  cooking gagdet that promised the world but didn't deliver: Are there any? Maybe some of those funky ones advertised on tv.

10. a recipe that you know by heart and any stories behind it: Pinto beans. Make it all the time. Learned it from an old friend of Mexican heritage.
Or Chinese Chicken Salad--also from an old friend, and a recipe that everyone always wants a copy of. Except an old boyfriend I made it for once, who thought uncooked ramen noodles were white trash. Whatever. Can't please everyone.
Or stacked enchiladas--from a neighbor we had in Louisiana when I was a kid. Always the perfect potluck item. Unfortunately, my family doesn't have the fun stories like in Sweet Potato Queens, or the book I'm reading right now--All Consuming Passions (about a foodie). Maybe our stories were just lost over time. If a family has stories, however, those really are treasure to hold onto.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is Flo from the swap! =)
I definitly think chocolate sauce counts!!!
I would love to see pictures of the owl apron1!!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first (and only) apron was given to me by my mother and which she made when she got married. It's about the size of a POSTAGE STAMP.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home