Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Because, like, that's the way we talk

Southern California is its own little universe. People speak differently here, and growing up in the midst of it, I find it quite endearing. Granted, different regions everywhere have their own colloquialisms. And I think it's fun to learn those. My mom says things like "tell him to go fry ice", "butter wouldn't melt in his mouth", etc. But that's a whole other topic.

Only in Southern California will a NEWS report contain words and phrases like (and I am not making this up) "gnarly crash", "eeewwww", "what's up with that?", and "the guy" for a description of a perpetrator.
I love that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my God, you are both so right! "Storm Watch" always makes me roll my eyes. Barb, I found your blog a few nights ago and I am really enjoying it. I was following links on other blogs and as soon as I saw the name Woof Nanny, I had to click it. Anything to do with dogs, and I am there. :)

Patty in Orange County

3:28 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Thanks for stopping by Patty! I'd email you or check out your blog, but there's no link here.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about "he's madder than a cut snake" that's Australian!

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being a local (Hollywood, CA, to be exact) I've long made a study of the Verbal Stylings of S. California. And as a result I've tried to sound like anything but a West Coast'er. I'm happy to say that I've been mistook from coming from all sorts of places, but never from S. CA.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home