Monday, May 08, 2006

Necktie Owl Coin Purse

Owl coin purse
I don't have a digital camera, so I just laid this on my scanner. Little coin purse made with four necktie pieces. Wings and interior are Save our Children designs. Two vintage pearl button eyes. I still need to add a clasp, and perhaps some yellow thread to accentuate the beak. I was just playing around and this is what developed. This was intended as a gift, but it's not to the level of perfection that I require when gifting. The trouble with neckties, is that if a pin catches at all, the fabric easily snags and sends a diagonal run across the entire section. Grrr. It's still fun to try new things though. And the fact that I'm experimenting without the crutch of a pattern is a step in the right direction.

5 Comments:

Blogger kt said...

Cool! Good experiment and a very nice rendering of a steely-eyed owl gaze.

9:55 PM  
Blogger Mika said...

That is super cute!

11:02 PM  
Blogger The Calico Cat said...

It's LOVELY! Hoot! Hoot! (Take those wings and attach the tips to the top & you've almost got a cat....)

5:01 AM  
Blogger mNg said...

I wish I knew how to make that. It's cute and unique :)

6:15 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Tinkerfaerie, I'm not sure I even know how to tell you how this was made. I took two large tie ends (one for lining_, folded them up, and did a manipulating (sort-of triangular side fold) to get something like a box pleat on the bottom. Handstitched them together. Added two thin-end ties for wings and didn't like how they stuck out so folded them in and tacked them at the lower corner. I was just playing around. I started out thinking I'd make a softie, but decided I thought a little purse would work too. Something different anyway.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home