Thursday, February 15, 2007

More Fun Food

These are just so fun.
I got a big box of recipe cards in a Betty Crocker plastic recipe box, at the thrift store for one dollar--The Betty Crocker Recipe Card Library, 1971.
Dolly Salad

The card says, "Come for a tea party and bring your favorite dolly! How many little girls will love to walk over in their mothers' heels for a special little party under the mock orange bush. Instead of the usual cookies, why not surprise them with Rag Doll Salads? To drink? Why, tea of course, generously mixed with milk."

For each serving, place 1 peach half for the body on salad plate. Arrange 4 small celery sticks for arms and legs around peach half. Use 1 large marshmallow for head, raisins for eyes, nose, shoes and buttons and small piece maraschino cherry for mouth. Shred yellow cheese; arrange around marshmallow for hair. Add a skirt of lettuce to complete the salad.


"Friendly Dog Salad"
This just makes me smile.
From Betty Crocker's Cookbook for Boys and Girls (3rd printing, 1985)
I'm not sure kids would be too hip on the prune ear (oops, excuse me....dried plum).

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still have the Betty Crocker Cookbook for Boys and Girls that I had as a child. The Raggedy Ann Salad on page 125 was a favorite with me, except that marshmallows and marischino cherries were never seen in my house. My sisters and I used half a hard cooked egg for the head and a little sliver of red wax from the Edam cheese rind for the mouth. (Yes, we ate that too!) I still refer to that book now and then when planning parties where children will be present.

5:08 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

Martha: I still have mine too. Mine has a note inside from a 2nd grade friend (I got the book for my birthday). I still love it, and still use it! I made the animal-shaped pancakes, the Spam ham for my parents (I was so proud), the biscuit bread sticks, and tons of other things. It fueled a love of cooking that remains today.

7:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home